Monday 19 December 2016

Sewing in the kitchen

When one is sewing in the kitchen, it's not the same as having a permanently arranged studio. For one thing, I have to clear away all the dishes and wipe the island bench immediately after dinner - it's my cutting mat area. (Usually a quilter on a sewing spree would just leave the dishes undone.) The freezer has a towel and iron over it. There are leads extending across the room.

Oh no! I am sorry darling! Are you ok? Ouch. He tripped on a cord. Luckily he is ok. Iron hit the concrete floor. Well, let's see if it still works.

A bit later... What's that smell? I rub the iron over an old towel on top of the freezer. Eww. Lots of brown is now on the towel. I'll turn down the temperature.

A bit later... Pew! That smell! Oh My God! The thermostat must be broken! The iron is so hot it is melting itself. YES! The plastic half an inch away from the metal plate has melted on one side.

Ok. Unplug and it's time to throw it out. Hahahhahahhaha. Oh! The casualties of sewing in the kitchen!

Because I had been sew conscientious yesterday, I had all my pieces cut, pieced and pressed. I was able to start the second tablerunner.



Meanwhile, adjustments are being made while trying to work out the optimum times to sew in the "Darwin kitchen". (This is Australian jargon for a covered roof with 'walls' enclosed only by shadecloth, with electric lights and fans on the ceiling. Cooking inside the house heats it up too much). It was lovely out there at 5am this morning and too hot by 7:30am. Slowly fitting into a schedule that allows family time, and sewing in the cool of the day (ha! Whatever that is!)...


Winter birds tablerunner is finished.


The binding should be finished on the Monsters quilt today.

5 comments:

Jo said...

Your table runner looks great

Jo said...

Love your table runner. Such dramas with the iron.

Dollandesign said...

Your winterbird-tablerunner is very cute!
I have made one with flower on,
and if you would see it,
it is on my blog at 12 of december this year.

Dollandesign

BizarreQuilter said...

Thank you Jo. The aprons are a great idea!

Thank you Dollanddesign. On my way!
Lorraine

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I had to quilt in the kitchen for a year while we remodeled and I know what a huge challenge it can be! Your little runner turned out so cute!